So I was going to setup a website for my wife’s new gig on my web-server. I created the MySQL database, FTP account and configured Apache accordingly. After downloading the Joomla 1.5.15 tarball and starting the FTP upload to my web-server, I went looking for the Joomla quickstart guide. To my astonishment, the “quickstart” guide is a full 49 pages long. Awesome, to say the least…and not too quick.
Here’s another one of those blog posts that’s mostly self-serving but hopefully helps a few other Joomla hopefuls.
To install Joomla 1.5 on a LAMP (Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP) server:
- Download the tar or zip file from the www.joomla.org website
- FTP the contents of the file to your web server
- Browse to the URL of your web-server (the URL of where you uploaded it)
- Walk through the wizard, enter all information as needed.
- Once you’re at the ‘Congratulations’ page, reconnect via FTP and delete the ‘installation’ folder from the server.
- That’s it! You can now manage your Joomla site by going to the http://sitename.com/administrator address.
What’s great is that with the newer versions of Joomla, the admin console actually connects to your web-server using FTP to make changes to your config files and to upload Themes/Plugins, etc.. No more chmod’ing files on your web-server!Share on Facebook